Cooking is one of my favorite things to do and the wonderful thing is that it is something that can easily be done with the children. They also learn so much from the experience. It's pretty much the perfect homeschooling activity.
Here are some of the wonderful benefits of preparing food with your children.
1. The kids get to choose healthy produce from the grocers (or even better, from your garden).
2. They learn about nutrition and the human body when you talk to them about why certain food choices are better than others.
3. They learn that it is okay to be creative and to try different things (a big hit here is Mum's never the same way twice spaghetti sauce).
4. The learn cooperation and turn taking when you cook with more than one child at a time (each taking their own turn to stir or add ingredients).
5. It's a wonderful opportunity to "teach" math concepts such as fractions, time and measurement).
6. They also get to learn about science concepts like boiling/freezing and reactions (like yeast or baking soda making things rise).
7. They teach us that the best part of cooking is just being a kid and stealing tastes out of the bowl!